[Python-Dev] test_pep263.py is "-kb" in CVS

Just van Rossum just at letterror.com
Tue Oct 12 10:18:14 CEST 2004

Sjoerd Mullender wrote:

> >> However, this is not necessarily enough reason to use -kb.  The
> >> only things -kb does are LF -> CRLF / LF -> CR mapping, not using
> >> diff for updates, and not expanding $ keywords.
> >
> > That is not true. On Apple computers, it also avoids conversion
> > from Latin-1 to Mac-Roman, which Mac CVS does by default for text
> > files. Making the files binary is the only way to avoid this
> > conversion, and that is precisely the reason why the file is binary.
>
> I didn't know this.
>
> > You may argue that this is a bug in Mac CVS, and I would agree.
> > However, that specific bug has -kb as a known work-around, and the
> > issue reported here points to a bug in the compiler packages which
> > should be fixed rather than worked-around.
>
> I agree that this sounds very much like a MacCVS bug, but it also
> sounds like an excellent reason to leave this file alone.  And the
> compiler issue should be (and has been, I saw) fixed.

On the other hand, I hardly know anyone who uses MacCVS anymore. Before
OSX you _had_ to use some Mac port of CVS (there were/are many), but on
OSX most people simply use cvs on the command line, which is the
standard unix version. Still, you can configure MacCVS to not convert
the encoding. In other words: I wouldn't worry about MacCVS anymore, at
all.

Just