[Python-Dev] About the Wise installer on Windows

Nick Bastin nbastin at opnet.com
Wed Oct 13 22:30:31 CEST 2004

On Oct 13, 2004, at 4:11 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

> Nick Bastin wrote:
>> Microsoft made available an OS to the general public (2003 Pro, I
>> think) for x86_64 at *least* 6 months ago, maybe more, and MSDN
>> members have access to other OS builds as well (at least 2003
>> server).
>
> That was no release (in the sense of a product release) of the system,
> though, was it? My understanding that the system is still considered
> in beta by Microsoft.

Yeah, that's why I didn't say 'released'.  It's still a beta, but it
certainly works and people are doing software development on it.  My
point was that people definitely have windows for x86_64, so it doesn't
seem that unreasonable that they'd be trying to use Python on it - this
isn't an isolated case.

>> You have at least 2 compiler options, namely MSVC++ and GCC.  ICL
>> does not (yet) support x64_64.
>
> How can you get a copy of MSVC++? VC.NET 2003 does not come with an
> AMD64 compiler to my knowledge, nor does the February 2003 (?) platform
> SDK incorporate one (which does incorporate an Itanium compiler).

There is a version of MSVC on the beta DDK CD.

--
Nick