[Python-Dev] python-dev Summary for 2004-09-16 through 2004-09-30 [draft]

Just van Rossum just at letterror.com
Thu Oct 14 15:49:44 CEST 2004

Nick Coghlan wrote:

> Brett C wrote:
> > - Running a module as a script
>
> That reminds me - the version of this that got checked in is
> restricted to top-level modules in order to keep things simple. I put
> a recipe up on the Python cookbook for those that wanted to be able
> to easily run scripts that live inside packages.
>
> The recipe:
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/307772

(Hm, I was going to reply to the discussion there, but I think it's more
appropriate here.)

I understand the difficulty of implementing it, but as a user I find it
a really really stupid restriction. I routively run (doc)tests of
individual modules, which usually are submodules of a package. Using -m
to do this would help me tremendously. As it stands, -m doesn't help me
at all. I'd even go so far and -1 the entire feature if it doesn't
support submodules. I guess it's too late for that :)

Just