[Python-Dev] ConfigParser shootout, preliminary entry

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Mon Oct 18 21:20:46 CEST 2004

> > I think the syntax looks good, but as per a thread in python-list, you
> > cannot discover the order of class variables by any solution (metaclass
> > or otherwise), due to the fact that they become part of the class
> > dictionary; which is arbitrarily unordered.
> >
> > If ordering is important to a user, one could have an optional
> > __order__
> > attribute that gives the list of items in-order.
>
> That's not quite true.  TypedAttribute instances and iniSection's
> __new__ could have serial numbers.

I'm not saying that they can't be numbered, I'm saying that one cannot
discover the ordering of assignment of attr1 and attr2 in the following:

class foo:
    attr1 = value1
    attr2 = value2

If there is a mechanism for discovering the original ordering of those
assignments, there are a group of users in c.l.py who would like to know,
and Carlos' seemingly non-existant implementation could also use it.

Please advise,
 - Josiah