[Python-Dev] SQLite module for Python 2.5

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Oct 20 19:20:25 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 13:08, Carlos Ribeiro wrote:

> This is a big issue. If the sqlite library supports a bigger and
> richer API _as part of the standard Python library_, then everyone
> else (Python's end users and developers) will naturally expect that
> all other rdbms will support the same API.

I don't agree.  Every one of the FOSS RDBMs has a different C API so I
wouldn't expect the Python module wrapping the native APIs to be
anything but a more-or-less straight exposure of that -- with some
liberties taken to Pythonify the APIs where appropriate, e.g. PyBSDDB
has a done a very good job there.

The common API is the DB-API, although it would be nice if there were
more commonality amongst the various implementations.

I do agree that further discussion probably belongs on other lists.

-Barry