[Python-Dev] SQLite module for Python 2.5

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Wed Oct 20 21:00:17 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 20 October 2004 01:48 pm, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
 > True, but it didn't use to be included. The fact that our Fred Drake
 > maintains it made the difference, I guess.

That might have something to do with it, but that's certainly not the only
thing, and not reason enough.

The biggest reason to include at least basic XML support in the standard
library is that new XML file formats are being used for supplemental data by
a variety of applications, and it's reasonable for many of them to be handled
behind the scenes by libraries that don't expose an XML-related API.  If the
application using the library itself doesn't require XML support, it really
shouldn't need to worry about the fact that one of the libraries does.

Making an XML parser and some basic APIs available in the Python standard
library (SAX and DOM) works out to make life easier for people putting
together applications that may end up touching XML indirectly (via some other
library that hides it).

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>