[Python-Dev] SQLite module for Python 2.5

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Thu Oct 21 17:44:37 CEST 2004

    Paul> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:23:52 -0500, Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> wrote:
    >> You assume it was contrived, but it wasn't at all.  We hit exactly
    >> these problems almost upon first use.  We were in the process of
    >> copying a large amount of data from our corporate Sybase database.

    Paul> Getting very off-topic here, but I'm surprised you considered
    Paul> SQLite in this situation, as an "equivalent" to Sybase.

Again, people assume lots about what we are doing.  I'm not interested in
getting into all the details here for many reasons, but I don't believe I
said anything about SQLite/Sybase equivalency.  I said we were copying a
large amount of data from Sybase to SQLite.

    Paul> Of course, if that perception is common, then I think that the
    Paul> library documentation should be very clear about where SQLite is
    Paul> appropriate, and where it is not...

Here we are coming back around to what I initially indicated.  SQLite will
be stretched beyond its limits very quickly.  We certainly did (yes, we were
using v2, but there is no v3 Python binding yet, right?).  The absence of
any indication what those limits are will shine a bad light on both SQLite
and Python when things don't work as expected.

I'm done with this thread.  I've registered by concerns about adding
PySQLite to the standard distribution.

Skip