[Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Pythoncompile.c, 2.330, 2.331

Guido van Rossum gvanrossum at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 18:36:18 CEST 2004

> I can't think of an application where the current behaviour would be of
> great benefit. It's always possible to create a tuple of the fields you want
> in the comparison. Unless it caused a drop in performance, I'd be in favour
> of only having identity comparison for code objects.

Well, then perhaps code object comparison (and function object
comparison) ought to work the same as 'is', not try to do something
clever? This would be ironic since that's what it *used* to do long
ago, and then I thought it would be "better" if "equivalent" code
objects compared equal. It seems that there are no real use cases for
having a code object equivalence test, so we might as well save the
effort. Right?