[Python-Dev] TRUNK UNFROZEN (release is done)

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Oct 26 22:01:23 CEST 2004

Jim Fulton wrote:
> That only makes a difference for a short time. Eventually there will
> be a maintenance branch.

Yes. However, between a beta an the final release, there are likely
many bug fixes in a short period of time, whereas (hopefully) the
frequency of bug fixes goes down after a release.

>  > which is tedious to do.
>
> It is *much* less so with subversion. We should switch. :)

Both Barry and you make this claim, which makes me curious.
How precisely is it more easy to apply the same change to two
branches in subversion? Being a long time subversion user,
I'ld normally just use the same procedure I use in CVS, i.e.
just apply the patch twice, and commit it twice.

> I think that branching would tend to enforce the feature freeze.

Hmm. I'm both uncertain whether that would indeed be the case, and
whether it would be a good thing. You seem the be saying that there
would be less changes on the branch. That might be the case. In
projects that do use this approach, it often means that the burden
on the release manager is increased, who now has to make sure that
bugs get not only fixed in the trunk, but also on the branch. I
don't think I want that.

Regards,
Martin