[Python-Dev] bsddb todo for someone - auto-upgrade db format

Gregory P. Smith greg at electricrain.com
Sat Oct 30 00:33:55 CEST 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 02:05:13PM +0400, Oleg Broytmann wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 01:44:43AM -0700, Gregory P. Smith wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 12:49:19PM +0400, Oleg Broytmann wrote:
> > >    BTW, just installing is not enough, even when it is come with Python
> > > distribution. Installing a newer version of BerkeleyDB breaks older
> > > databases due to incompatible file formats.
> >
> > fwiw its possible to fix this in the bsddb code.  someone willing to do
> > the exception catching database backing-up + auto db_upgrade()
>
>    What's db_upgrade()? I can find only a reference to a program called
> db_upgrade, and I don't have one on my computer.

http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/api_c/db_upgrade.html

Its part of the sleepycat database API to upgrade from old formats
to new.  When you build BerkeleyDB it does create a standalone command
line utility that'll call the function for you but its also available
thru the C (and python) api.  See the bsddb.db.DB.upgrade() method.