[Python-Dev] Installing python-dev

Dennis Allison allison at sumeru.stanford.EDU
Wed Sep 1 20:59:20 CEST 2004

If you are on a rpm based sysem (RH, etc) you need to download the
development RPM as well as the binary as that's where all the includes are
that are needed for C extensions.  But, the better installation is to
download the source and compile locally using the usual sequence

	./congfigure
	make
	su
	make install

(but read the documents first).  In that case the necesary files will be
automatically installed.