[Python-Dev] Re: FW: [Python-checkins] python/nondist/peps pep-0318.txt, 1.25, 1.26

Fri Sep 3 01:50:54 CEST 2004

Thomas Heller wrote:

> "Raymond Hettinger" <python at rcn.com> writes:
>>.... everyone knew they [metaclasses] were powerful when they were
>> put in, but no one knew how they would be used or whether they were
>>necessary.  In fact, two versions later, we still don't know those
>>answers.
>
> Sorry I have to say this, but I don't think you know what you're talking
> about in this paragraph.

I would suggest we don't know the practical range of application yet.
It is clear that some black magicians are happy, but metaclasses are
not yet as well understood as list comprehensions in the sense of,
"this is when you use them; this is an abuse."  Metaclasses are more
structural and less linguistic; such things take longer to absorb as
design structure elements.  This is all by way of saying, "nope,
he has a point."

-- Scott David Daniels
Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org