[SPAM-heur] Re: [Python-Dev] Re: [Python-checkins] python/dist/src/Modules threadmodule.c,2.56, 2.56.8.1

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Fri Sep 3 07:46:36 CEST 2004

Anthony Tuininga wrote:
[snip]
> Whether or not this makes it acceptable or not I leave that to the
> release manager to decide....

I can understand why it would be convenient for this to be in 2.3.5,
but I really don't want to see this in the release23-maint branch. The
advantages (it allows cx_oracle to be faster) are nowhere near strong
enough to outweigh the disadvantages (breaking binary compatibility
between bugfix releases).

 From the feedback I've received since I started the current run of
bugfix releases, one of the strongest messages I've received is that
people _really_ _really_ like the no-new-features rule, because it
makes it much easier to justify rolling out a bugfix release. I'm
not saying that this rule must never be broken, only that it would
need an extremely good reason to do so.

This case is even worse, as it is both a new feature _and_ a binary
imcompatibility.

If you wanted to, you could produce a package with a patched datetime
module, and instructions for allowing users to install it into their
existing installation. This is entirely up to them, then.

Anthony