[Python-Dev] Re: Alternative Implementation for PEP 292:Simple String Substitutions

Moore, Paul Paul.Moore at atosorigin.com
Fri Sep 3 17:49:59 CEST 2004

From: Barry Warsaw
> Attached is a demo using the 2.4a3 implementation of string.Template.
> Note that the only change in the Template subclass is the pattern, and
> there, it's just that the 'named' and 'braced' groups got a '.' in the
> second character class.

Ah, I follow. The lookup logic is in the mapping class rather than in
the template.

Would it be useful to factor out the "identifier syntax" bit of the
pattern? The "escaped" and "bogus" groups are less likely to need
changing than what constitutes an identifier.

Hmm, you'd have to get fancy then, as the "obvious" approach is a
class attribute

    id = "[_a-z][_a-z0-9]*"

but then computing pattern while keeping it as a class attribute is
harder than I can work out right now.

Forget it - let's keep it simple until someone shows a real need.

Thanks for the sample,
Paul.

liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.