[Python-Dev] Re: Alternative Implementation for PEP 292:SimpleStringSubstitutions

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sat Sep 4 14:05:32 CEST 2004

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>
>>The PEP was about simplification.  Tossing in unnecessary unicode
>>coercions is not in line with that goal.
>>
>>Does anyone else think this is a crummy idea?
>

> Yes.  Whatever MAL and Barry thinks, Python's current model is 8+8=8,
> U+U=U, and 8+U=U for ascii U.  That's an advantage, not a bug.

Indeed, but I don't see how that's different from what the PEP
is saying.

>>Is everyone ready for unicode coercions to start sprouting everywhere?
>
> No.
>
> And when that time comes, storing everything as 32-bit characters is not the
> right answer either.

I'll leave that for the libc designers to decide :-)

If you look at performance, there's not much difference between
8-bit strings and Unicode, so the only argument against using
Unicode for storing text data is memory usage.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 04 2004)