[Python-Dev] Alternative Implementation for PEP 292:SimpleString Substitutions

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Sat Sep 4 18:30:45 CEST 2004

On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 07:51, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

> Why are you guys putting so much effort into fighting
> Unicode ? I often get the impression that you are considering
> Unicode a nightmare rather than a blessing.

Indeed.  For example, the only way to maintain your sanity in an i18n'd
application is to convert all text[1] to unicode as early as possible,
deal with only unicode internally, and encode to 8bit strings as late as
possible, if ever.

-Barry

[1] "text" defined as "strings intended for human consumption".