[Python-Dev] Re: Re: Alternative Implementation forPEP 292:SimpleStringSubstitutions

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sun Sep 5 18:48:55 CEST 2004

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>

>>>Yes.  Whatever MAL and Barry thinks, Python's current model is 8+8=8,
>>>U+U=U, and 8+U=U for ascii U.  That's an advantage, not a bug.
>>
>>Indeed, but I don't see how that's different from what the PEP
>>is saying.
>

> the current implementation is
>
>      T(8) % 8 = U.
>
> which violates the 8+8=8 rule.

T is a sub-class of Unicode, so you have:

	U % 8 = U

which is just fine.

>>>And when that time comes, storing everything as 32-bit characters is not the
>>>right answer either.
>>
>>I'll leave that for the libc designers to decide :-)
>>
>>If you look at performance, there's not much difference between
>>8-bit strings and Unicode, so the only argument against using
>>Unicode for storing text data is memory usage.
>
> I used to make that argument, but these days, I no longer think that you can
> talk about performance without taking memory usage into account.

You always have to take both into account. I was just saying
that 8-bit strings don't buy you much in terms of performance
over Unicode these days, so the only argument against using
Unicode would be doubled memory usage. Of course, this is
a rather mild argument given the problems you face when trying
to localize applications - which I see as the main use case
for templates.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 05 2004)