[Python-Dev] Re: Dangerous exceptions (was Re: Another test_compiler mystery)

Guido van Rossum gvanrossum at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 03:46:59 CEST 2004

> It's not really the same subject, but the exception that gives me the
> most grief is StopIteration.  I have to keep remembering to never call
> .next() without catching it; if I forget, I get bugs where some loop
> several levels back in the call tree mysteriously exits.

Are you sure? This sounds like superstition to me, since that's not
how loops work. Raising StopIteration in the middle of a loop does not
break out of the loop -- only raising StopIteration from a next()
breaks a loop.

Or are you talking about nested next() calls? That's the only case
where the behavior you are citing occurs.

Ask me about gmail.