[Python-Dev] Subversion

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake at acm.org
Tue Sep 7 23:06:59 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 04:51 pm, Martin v. Löwis wrote:
 > What *is* the disadvantage of Berkeley DB that the file storage of
 > svn 1.1 will remove? One of the things that you could do in CVS that
 > you can't easily do because of the DB approach is to ultimately
 > remove a file, along with its entire history (by removing the ,v file).
 > Along with that goes the option of moving part of a repository into
 > another repository.

I'm not concerned with people deliberately hosing their repositories; they
shouldn't do that.

The advantage I see is that we won't have to deal with hosed databases having
to be "recovered" to make the Subversion server useful again.

I certainly agree with Jp's comments about how databases are used, but as long
as the server is working, that's less of an issue for me.

 > Neither is either with svn because of the DB thing. However, I
 > understand that it won't become simpler with the file storage, either,
 > as the files being created don't directly correlate to files of the
 > versions file system. So you still can't delete a single file with all
 > of its history, nor can you move just a part of the repository.

Again, that's not my desire.  I'm happy to not manipulate the content of the
repository directly.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fdrake at acm.org>