[Python-Dev] Re: Re: Alternative Implementation forPEP292:SimpleString Substitutions

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Wed Sep 8 18:33:00 CEST 2004

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

>> from a user perspective, there's no reason to make templates a sub-
>> class of unicode, so the rest of your argument is irrelevant.
>
> Templates are meant to template *text* data, so Unicode is
> the right choice of baseclass from a design perspective.

not true.  as I've shown in SRE and ElementTree (just to give a few
examples), 8-bit strings are superior for the *huge* subset of all text
strings that only contain ASCII data.

>> instead of looking at use patterns, you're stuck defending the existing
>> code.  that's not a good way to design usable code.
>
> Perhaps I'm missing something, but where would you use Templates
> for templating binary data (where strings or bytes would be a more
> appropriate design choice) ?

8-bit strings != binary data.

you clearly haven't read my other posts in this thread.  please do that,
instead of repeating the same bogus arguments over again.

</F>