[Python-Dev] Re: unicode inconsistency?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Thu Sep 9 22:12:30 CEST 2004

Neil Schemenauer wrote:

> Perhaps I am on the wrong track.  However, if I understand the /F
> bot correctly, he favours a design that does not force everthing to
> unicode strings.

that's correct.

I'm beginning to think that we need an extra method (__text__), that
can return any kind of string that's compatible with Python's text model.

(in today's CPython, that's an 8-bit string with ASCII only, or a Uni-
code string.  future Python's may support more string types, at least at
the C implementation level).

I'm not sure we can change __str__ or __unicode__ without breaking
code in really obscure ways (but I'd be happy to be proven wrong).

</F>