[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 328 - Relative Imports

Nicolas Fleury nidoizo at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 10 19:18:47 CEST 2004

M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
> I wasn't suggesting not to have relative imports. It is just
> that most third-party packages nowadays rely on the current
> import lookup mechanism (first local, then global). All of these
> would break the day absolute imports become the default.

Don't you think that they have enough time to adapt?  We're talking
about 2.6 for the final step and 2.4 is not even released.  If a
third-party package doesn't adapt, I'm sure it's possible to have a
wordaround, but isn't that a different issue?  Don't forget that you can
make you imports in if/else blocks on version.

Regards,
Nicolas