[Python-Dev] Re: ANN: PEP 335: Overloadable Boolean Operators

Shane Holloway (IEEE) shane.holloway at ieee.org
Mon Sep 13 06:59:08 CEST 2004

Tim Hochberg wrote:
 > that there are no use
 > cases for the custom short circuiting yet, we then just drop scand/scor
 > until a compelling use case shows up, if it ever does.

A boolean calculus (predicate) engine would make use of
short-circuiting.  Or perhaps a state machine would make use of this
feature.  I agree with Greg that I'd rather the implementation be
"complete".  Computer Scientists have already been down this road, and
we know that there are two useful forms.  :)

I like [__and1__, __and__, __or__, __or1__] -- the abbreviation would
have to be documented anyway, and the '1' says "one argument: self" to me.

Respectfully,
-Shane Holloway