[Python-Dev] Re: Alternative Implementation for PEP 292: SimpleString Substitutions

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Mon Sep 13 22:15:01 CEST 2004

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>>You mean: a compressed shift table for Unicode patterns ?
>>I'll have a look.
> It's a lossy compression: the entire delta1 table is represented as
> two 32-bit values, independent of the size of the source alphabet.
> Works amazingly well, at least when combined with the BM-variant
> it was designed for...
> (I suppose it's too late for 2.4, but it would probably be a good
> idea to switch to this algorithm in 2.5)

Here's a reference that might be interesting for you:

They use statistical approaches to dealing with the problem of
large alphabets. Their motivation is making Java's Unicode string
implementation faster... sounds familiar, eh :-)

Their motivation was based on work done for the "Managing Gigabytes"

Too bad their code is GPLed, but I suppose getting some ideas
is OK ;-)

Marc-Andre Lemburg

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Sep 13 2004)