[Python-Dev] PEP 292: method names

Erik Heneryd erik at heneryd.com
Tue Sep 14 01:48:30 CEST 2004

Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 12:18, Erik Heneryd wrote:
>>BTW, what about a closing delimiter in the standard regex?
>

> There isn't one.  The PEP explains the rationale.

Sorry, must've missed it?  Note that I'm not saying there should be a
default closer, but an empty group in the regex, for subclasses to fill
in (for example ml entities could use this).

>>I hope you don't do pep-292 just to fill your own needs (i18n?), but
>>also keep your mind open to other uses...
>

> What can't you do with PEP 292 as it now stands?

Examples from previous posts: sh-style safe variables, ml entities.  As
you really can't reuse anything now, it would be like starting from scratch.

Erik