[Python-Dev] PyExc_UnicodeDecodeError

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Wed Sep 15 21:30:23 CEST 2004

"Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> writes:

> Thomas Heller wrote:
>> In this context: I find Exceptions being much too underdocumented.
> [...]
>> I'm not sure what there can be done about that, maybe keep exceptions.py
>> in sync (although unused) with the current code, and point to it from
>> the docs?
>
> The best solution for missing, incomplete, and incomprehensible
> documentation is to add, complete, and rewrite the documentation.
> Do you volunteer?

I known.  Maybe I'll do something about it.  So far I think it's
difficult to describe the behaviour of the exception classes - that was
my impression when I looked at (for example) the description of
EnvironmentError in the library docs, and compared that to the code in
<http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/python/python/dist/src/Lib/Attic/exceptions.py?rev=1.18&view=markup>

Do others share this impression, or is it me only?

As I said, one idea would be to keep exceptions.py, although unused, in
sync with the current C code, and include it in the docs.
Another idea that came to my mind is the include the Python code in the
docstring.

Thomas