[Python-Dev] Strawman decision: @decorator won't change

Guido van Rossum gvanrossum at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 23:46:43 CEST 2004

Anthony Baxter asked me for a pronouncement on whether @decorator will
change to use some other character instead; I kept this open as a
possibility before 2.4b1 (which is tentatively scheduled for Oct 7th).
Given the near-complete silence following my rejection of the J2
alternative proposal, I don't expect there to be a massive popular
movement to change the character, but I admit I haven't looked for

Let's plan on doing the following. If in the next 7 days there's no
indication that some group of users wants to rally for a different
character, the decision to keep @ is made final on Sept 23. To change
the character, somebody will need to start rallying for a different
character, and be able to show signs of significant support by that
date.

The definition of "significant support" is intentionally left open for
interpretation, I'll review the evidence on the 23rd.