[Python-Dev] Re: Planning to drop gzip compression for future releases.

Erik Heneryd erik at heneryd.com
Sat Sep 18 14:07:54 CEST 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Fredrik Lundh wrote:
>
>> Of the build systems I checked, all had gunzip, most had unzip, but
>> only the Linux systems had bunzip2.
>

> Sure, there are systems that don't have bunzip2 installed. However,
> what is the problem of installing it? All you need is a C compiler,
> and I'm sure you have one - how else are you going to install Python?

Yes, those with older, bzip2less systems can probably figure out how to
get it and build it, but why force them when it's practically no work
keeping it?  It's one (sic) extra command for the release manager and
~9M extra disk space per release on www.python.org.

And besides that... only GNU tar supports the j flag. <wink>

Erik