[Python-Dev] Re: Planning to drop gzip compression for future releases.

Anthony Baxter anthony at interlink.com.au
Mon Sep 20 04:08:52 CEST 2004

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Fred wouldn't have asked if it was no effort in keeping it. There is
> certainly more than one command to it - you have to md5sum the file,
> and copy the md5sum into the release notes. You have to upload the file
> from your workstation to python.org. I don't know how you do that, but
> I need to use my DSL link for uploading the MSI files; it takes roughly
> 30min to upload. Fortunately, I have a DSL flatrate.

Again, we're only talking about the documentation tarballs. I'm still
going to be making both tar.gz and tar.bz2 format source releases -
yes, it's a bit more work (gotta gpg sign both, upload both) but I'm
completely unconvinced that forcing people to install bzip2 everywhere
is a useful approach.

Anthony