[Python-Dev] Decimal, copyright and license

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 22:34:55 CEST 2004

[Batista, Facundo]
> I'm creating a decimal installer (for Py2.3 users), making tarball, .rpm and .exe
> versions available.
>
> What I don't know is what to put about license and copyright.

In the language of the PSF license, you're making "a derivative work"
then.  Your derivative work is *your* work, and you can license it
however you like (although, as the PSF license says, you must
*include* the PSF license and copyright notice).  The copyright is
yours, since it's your work.

> Regarding copyright, my first draft says:
>
>    Copyright (c) 2004 Python Software Foundation.
>    All rights reserved.

You hold copyright whether you say so or not.  You won't get into
trouble by claiming the PSF holds copyright, though.

> Regarding license, didn't put nothing yet, should I write something like the
> following and include the file?

No matter what else you do, you must include the PSF license and
copyright.  The license you want to use for your part of the work is
entirely up to you; the PSF license imposes no restrictions there.

>    See the file "LICENSE" for information on the history of this
>    software, terms & conditions for usage, and a DISCLAIMER OF ALL
>    WARRANTIES.

That would be suitable if you want to leave the impression that you're
licensing your work under the terms of the PSF license.  That's fine,
if that's what you want to do.  If you want to write a license saying
people have to pay you a million dollars each time they use your
installer, that's also fine.

> Remember that the "decimal installer" will be available for download not in a
> Python location.

That part doesn't really matter.  What you suggest above is all fine.