[Python-Dev] More data points

ncoghlan at iinet.net.au ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Sun Sep 26 08:22:02 CEST 2004

Quoting Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com>:

> That's because they never suffered from list's ill-advised
> documentation effectively blessing mutation while iterating <0.5
> wink>.

Ah. Interesting to know. So catching this is recommended when it's feasible?

> > Set throws the same exception as dictionary does (presumably, the main
> > container inside 'set' is a dictionary)
> >
> > Details of behaviour:
>
> The last one is extremely surprising:

And it never actually happened, either. It's a transcription error on my part. I
made a mistake when testing the dict.update version (I wrote "-y for y in x",
instead of "(-y, None) for y in x"). When deleting that from the transcript, I
also accidentally deleted the x.fromkeys() example. When I added that example
back in, I put it in the wrong spot (after the x.update example, instead of
before it).

So, no, dict.update isn't randomly eating dictionary entries. Sorry 'bout the
false alarm. . .

Cheers,
Nick.