[Fwd: Re: [Python-Dev] using openssh's pty code]

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Mon Sep 27 06:48:50 CEST 2004

> Well, I'm not sure how that applies.  I didn't see any mention of
> licenses in the thread you pointed me to, but even if that thread (or
> some other one) showed that it was ok to use glib code in python, that
> doesn't mean I can put openssh code into python because the glib and
> openssh licenses are different.

My personal view is that we can only accept code contributions from
the original author, in general. There have been exceptions in the
past, when we have shipped a wrapper for a library along with the
source code of the library, however, there should be a very good reason
for that, e.g. that the functionality in the library is unique.

In the specific case, I do believe it would be better to write
a pty module from scratch instead of adjusting openssh code.

Regards,
Martin