[Python-Dev] using openssh's pty code

Gustavo Niemeyer niemeyer at conectiva.com
Mon Sep 27 16:13:19 CEST 2004

Hello Martin,

> >Since openssh must handle pty allocation, its support for pty
> >operations across various platforms is more robust than python's.
> >I'd like to use openssh's code to improve on python's pty handling.
> >
> >I know the licenses for openssh and python are different.  Can anyone
> >tell me if it's legal to mix openssh code into python?  Assuming it
> >is, are the python maintainers willing to accept a python patch that
> >contains some openssh code?
>
> Could you change Python's pty module to more closely follow the
> procedures in OpenSSH, in particular those parts where OpenSSH
> is more robust?

If he's going to copy/base his work on openssh, the openssh license
must surely be respected.

FWIW, that's the issue I was talking about when we discussed the
contributor agreement in the PSF list, regarding inclusion of code
with foreign licenses. In this occasion, you said a contributor
must not include code not authored by him, and cannot sign an
agreement on such code.

--
Gustavo Niemeyer
http://niemeyer.net