[Fwd: Re: [Python-Dev] using openssh's pty code]

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Sep 28 07:08:21 CEST 2004

J Raynor wrote:
> The code that I would borrow from openssh basically states that you can
> use it if you include in your derived work the copyright notice and
> disclaimer found in the file you want to borrow from.  This sounds like
> it would pose no problems for incorporating into python, but I'm no
> expert on this, so I thought I'd ask.

It still very much depends on the *precise* wording. For example,
if we assemble binary releases, what are our obligations wrt. copyright
notice? If Python users embed Python into their applications, what will
be their obligations?

> Looking at some of the python source, I can see that there are several
> files that contain just such notices.  For example, from the Modules
> directory:

Yes. Each of these cases is somewhat worrysome, and we are working on
eliminating them whereever possible. Some of them are harder to resolve
than others. I'm certain that users of Python break some of these
licenses, by not incorporating the proper clauses into the proper
locations. Some users are worried about doing that and have asked to
simplify their lifes.

> Perhaps my original question led you to believe that the openssh license
> was unusual, or had problematic clauses in it.  Given the somewhat
> clarified description above of what's required to borrow openssh code,
> do you still have reservations about receiving patches containing it?

I understood from the beginning that the openssh license is not unusual,
and that is what worries me. It doesn't worry me so much as to
completely object inclusion of code, but only if a suitable replacement
is too hard to write.

In any case, if you distribute the module separately first, none of
this needs to concern you.

Regards,
Martin