[Python-Dev] Finding the module from PyTypeObject?

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Sep 29 18:56:40 CEST 2004

Nick Bastin <nbastin at opnet.com> writes:

> Is there any way to (reliably) find the module that defined the class
> represented by a given PyTypeObject in C?

Not especially appropriate for python-dev...

I think the answer depends on what you mean by "reliably".  __module__
is a good first bet, but can be defeated with sufficient malice (or
mere inattention, in the case of types defined by C).

  ... the U.S. Department of Transportation today disclosed that its
  agents have recently cleared airport security checkpoints with an
  M1 tank, a beluga whale, and a fully active South American volcano.
             -- http://www.satirewire.com/news/march02/screeners.shtml