[Python-Dev] New bug, directly assigned, okay?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at iinet.net.au
Sat Apr 2 17:57:14 CEST 2005

Irmen de Jong wrote:
> I just added a new bug on SF (1175396) and because I think
> that it is related to other bugs that were assigned to
> Walter Doerwald, I assigned this new bug directly to Walter too.
>
> Is that good practice or does someone else usually assign SF bugs to people?

I've certainly done that a few times myself - I figure that even if I get it
wrong, the recipient will either pass it on to a more appropriate person, or
simply revert it back to unassigned.

I usually try to put in a comment to say *why* I've assigned it the way I have,
though. Picking an assignee at random should probably be discouraged, but if
there is someone that makes sense, then I don't see a problem with asking them
to look at it directly.

Cheers,
Nick.