[Python-Dev] Re: marshal / unmarshal

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sat Apr 16 00:19:02 CEST 2005

On 14-apr-05, at 15:08, David Robinow wrote:

> On 4/11/05, Tim Peters <tim.peters at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Heh.  I have a vague half-memory of _some_ box that stored the two
>> 4-byte "words" in an IEEE double in one order, but the bytes within
>> each word in the opposite order.  It's always something ...
>  I believe this was the Floating Instruction Set on the PDP 11/35.
> The fact that it's still remembered 30 years later shows how unusual
> it was.

I think it was actually "logical", because all PDP-11s (there were 2 or
3 FPU instructionsets/architecture in the family IIRC) stored 32 bit
integers in middle-endian (high-order word first, but low-order byte
first).

But note that neither of the PDP-11 FPUs were IEEE, that was a much
later invention. At least, I didn't come across it until much later:-)
Goldman