[Python-Dev] Inconsistent exception for read-only properties?

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sun Apr 17 18:25:09 CEST 2005

On Sun, Apr 17, 2005, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-04-17 at 11:53, Jack Diederich wrote:
>>
>> In 2.4 & 2.3 does it make sense to raise an exception that multiply
>> inherits from both TypeError and AttributeError?  If anyone currently
>> does catch the error raising only AttributeError will break their
>> code.  2.5 should just raise an AttributeError, of course.
>
> Without introducing a new exception class (which I think is out of the
> question for anything but 2.5), the only common base is StandardError,
> which seems too general for this exception.

Why is changing an exception more acceptable than creating a new one?
(I don't have a strong opinion either way, but I'd like some reasoning;
Jack's approach at least doesn't break code.)  Especially if the new
exception isn't "public" (in the builtins with other exceptions).

"The joy of coding Python should be in seeing short, concise, readable
classes that express a lot of action in a small amount of clear code --
not in reams of trivial code that bores the reader to death."  --GvR