[Python-Dev] How do you get yesterday from a time object

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 17:59:07 CEST 2005

On 4/19/05, Ralph Hilton <flinkkettel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> i'm a beginning python programmer.
>
> I want to get the date for yesterday
>
> nowTime = time.localtime(time.time())
> print nowTime.
> oneDay = 60*60*24 # number seconds in a day
> yday = nowTime - oneDay  # <-- generates an error
> print yday.strftime("%Y-%m-%d")
>
> How can I just get yesterday's day?  It a simple
> concept yet it seems to be so hard to figure out.
>
> What i'm worried about is if today is say
> June 1, 2023
> what is yesterday?   and how do i compute that?

You don't want the python-dev list for this type of question.
Python-dev is for development *of* Python. For usage questions such as
this, you would be better asking on python-list (or, equivalently, the
Usenet group comp.lang.python).

To assist with your question, though, I'd suggest you look at the
documentation of the datetime module, which allows you to do what you
are after (and much more).

Regards,
Paul