[Python-Dev] Proper place to put extra args for building

Brett C. bac at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Fri Apr 22 06:56:31 CEST 2005

Martin v. Löwis wrote:
> Brett C. wrote:
>
>>Works for me.  If no one objects I will check in the change for CFLAGS to make
>>it ``$(BASECFLAGS) $(OPT) "$EXTRA_CFLAGS"`` soon (is quoting it enough to make
>>sure that it isn't evaluated by configure but left as a string to be evaluated
>>by the shell when the Makefile is running?).
>

> If you put it into Makefile.pre.in, the only thing to avoid that
> configure evaluates is is not to use @FOO at . OTOH, putting a $
> in front of it is not good enough for make: $EXTRA_CFLAGS evaluates
> the variable E, and then appends XTRA_CFLAGS.

Yep, you're right.  I initially thought that the parentheses meant it was a
Makefile-only variable, but it actually goes to the environment for those
unknown values.

Before I check it in, though, should setup.py be tweaked to use it as well?  I
say yes.

-Brett