[Python-Dev] Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] zipfile still has 2GB boundary bug

Shane Hathaway shane at hathawaymix.org
Wed Apr 27 06:15:16 CEST 2005

Bob Ippolito wrote:
> The zipfile module is good enough to create input files for zipimport..
> which is well tested and generally works -- barring the fact that
> zipimport has quite a few rough edges of its own.  I certainly wouldn't
> recommend it for any heavy duty tasks in its current state.

That's interesting because Java seems to suffer from similar problems.
In the early days of Java, although a jar file was a zip file, Java
wouldn't read jar files created by the standard zip utilities I used.  I
think the distinction was that the jar utility stored the files
uncompressed.  Java is fixed now, but I think it illustrates that zip
files are non-trivial.

BTW, I don't think the jar utility can delete files from a zip file
either. ;-)

Shane