[Python-Dev] Re: anonymous blocks

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 00:07:54 CEST 2005

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> An alternative that solves this would be to give __next__() a second
> argument, which is a bool that should be true when the first argument
> is an exception that should be raised. What do people think?
>
> I'll add this to the PEP as an alternative for now.

An optional third argument (raise=False) seems a lot friendlier (and more
flexible) than a typecheck.

Yet another alternative would be for the default behaviour to be to raise
Exceptions, and continue with anything else, and have the third argument be
"raise_exc=True" and set it to False to pass an exception in without raising it.

Cheers,
Nick.