[Python-Dev] noob question regarding the interpreter

Neil Schemenauer nas at arctrix.com
Fri Apr 29 04:24:02 CEST 2005

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 05:47:18PM -0400, Jing Su wrote:
> Is there work to change python into a direct-threaded or even JIT'ed
> interpreter?

People have experimented with making the ceval loop use direct
threading.  If I recall correctly, the resulting speedup was not
significant.  I suspect the reason is that most of Python's opcodes
do a significant amount of work.  There's probably more to be gained
by moving to a register based VM.  Also, I think direct threading is
hard to do portably.

If you are interested in JIT, take a look at Psyco.

  Neil