[Python-Dev] Re: PEP 340 - possible new name for block-statement

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Fri Apr 29 09:47:49 CEST 2005

Guido van Rossum <gvanrossum at gmail.com> wrote:

> [Nicolas Fleury]
> > I would prefer something that would be
> > understandable for a newbie's eyes, even if it fits more with common
> > usage than with the real semantics behind it.  For example a Boost-like
> > keyword like:
> >
> > scoped EXPR as VAR:
> >      BLOCK
>
> Definitely not. In too many languages, a "scope" is a new namespace,
> and that's exactly what a block (by whichever name) is *not*.

scopeless, unscoped, Scope(tm) (we would be required to use the unicode
trademark symbol, of course)...

It's way too long, and is too close to a pre-existing keyword, but I
think 'finalized' is descriptive.  But...

finalize EXPR as VAR:
    BLOCK

That reads nice...  Maybe even 'cleanup', or
'finalize_after_iteration_without_iter_call' (abbreviated to 'faiwic',
of course). <1.0 wink>

All right, it's late enough.  Enough 'ideas' from me tonight.

 - Josiah