[Python-Dev] PEP 340 - possible new name for block-statement

Pierre Barbier de Reuille pierre.barbier at cirad.fr
Fri Apr 29 17:45:21 CEST 2005

Nick Coghlan a écrit :
> Pierre Barbier de Reuille wrote:
>
>> One main reason is a common error could be (using the synchronised
>> iterator introduced in the PEP):
>>
>> for l in synchronised(mylock):
>>   do_something()
>>
>> It will compile, run, never raise any error but the lock will be
>> acquired and never released !
>

> It's better than that. With the code above, CPython is actually likely
> to release the lock when the loop exits. Change the code to the below to
> ensure the lock doesn't get released:
>
>   sync = synchronised(mylock):
>   for l in sync:
>       do_something()

Well indeed, but this will be an implementation-dependant behaviour ...

>> Then, I think there is no use case of a generator with __error__ in
>> the for-loop as it is now. So, IMO, it is error-prone and useless to
>> have two different syntaxes for such things.

[...]
> The major danger I see is that you could then write a generator
> containing a yield inside a try/finally, _without_ applying the
> finalisation decorator. Leading to exactly the problem described above -
> the lock (or whatever) is never cleaned up, because the generator is not
> flagged for finalisation. In this scenario, even destruction of the
> generator object won't help.

Mmmmh ... why introduce a new flag ? Can't you just test the presence of
the "__error__" method ? This would lift your problem wouldn't it ?

--
Pierre Barbier de Reuille

INRA - UMR Cirad/Inra/Cnrs/Univ.MontpellierII AMAP
Botanique et Bio-informatique de l'Architecture des Plantes
TA40/PSII, Boulevard de la Lironde
34398 MONTPELLIER CEDEX 5, France

tel   : (33) 4 67 61 65 77    fax   : (33) 4 67 61 56 68