[Python-Dev] PEP 340 - possible new name for block-statement

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Apr 29 18:38:54 CEST 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> If you want to emphasise the similarity, the following syntax and
> explanation is something that occurred to me during lunch today:

We don't want to emphasize the similarity.

> Python offers two variants on the basic iterative loop.
>
>   "for NAME from EXPR:" enforces finalisation of the iterator. At loop
> completion, a well-behaved iterator is always completely exhausted. This
> form supports block management operations, that ensure timely release of
> resources such as locks or file handles.
>   If the values being iterated over are not required, then the statement
>   may be simplified to "for EXPR:".
>
>   "for NAME in EXPR:" skips the finalisation step. At loop completion, a
> well-behaved iterator may still contain additional values. This form allows
> an iterator to be consumed in stages.

-1 -- the Zen of Python implies that we should be able to tell which
construct we're using at the beginning of the line.

"It's 106 miles to Chicago.  We have a full tank of gas, a half-pack of
cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."  "Hit it."