[Python-Dev] PEP 340 - possible new name for block-statement

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Fri Apr 29 21:05:25 CEST 2005

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 10:42 AM 4/29/05 -0700, Aahz wrote:
>>On Fri, Apr 29, 2005, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>> [Phillip J. Eby]

>>> I'd like that too, but it was shot down at least once. Maybe we can
>>> resurrect it?
>>>
>>>     opening("foo") as f:
>>>         # etc.
>>
>>I'm still -1 for the same reason I mentioned earlier: function calls
>>spanning multiple lines are moderately common in Python code, and it's
>>hard to distinguish these cases because multi-line calls usually get
>>indented like blocks.
>
> But the indentation of a multi-line call doesn't start with a colon.

Neither does the un-keyworded block.  It starts with a colon on the end
of the previous line.  I thought part of the point of Python was to
minimize reliance on punctuation, especially where it's not clearly
visible?

"It's 106 miles to Chicago.  We have a full tank of gas, a half-pack of
cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."  "Hit it."