[Python-Dev] PEP: Migrating the Python CVS to Subversion

Donovan Baarda abo at minkirri.apana.org.au
Mon Aug 1 19:52:03 CEST 2005

On Sun, 2005-07-31 at 23:54, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     BAW> So are you saying that moving to svn will let us do more long
>     BAW> lived branches?  Yay!
>
> Yes, but you still have to be disciplined about it.  svn is not much
> better than cvs about detecting and ignoring spurious conflicts due to
> code that gets merged from branch A to branch B, then back to branch
> A.  Unrestricted cherry-picking is still out.

Yeah. IMHO the sadest thing about SVN is it doesn't do branch/merge
properly. All the other cool stuff like renames etc is kinda undone by
that. For a definition of properly, see;

http://prcs.sourceforge.net/merge.html

This is why I don't bother migrating any existing CVS projects to SVN;
the benefits don't yet outweigh the pain of migrating. For new projects
sure, SVN is a better choice than CVS.

--
Donovan Baarda <abo at minkirri.apana.org.au>