[Python-Dev] PEP, take 2: Exception Reorganization for Python 3.0

Raymond Hettinger python at rcn.com
Wed Aug 3 03:02:55 CEST 2005

The Py3.0 PEPs are a bit disconcerting.  Without 3.0 actively in
development, it is difficult to get the participation, interest, and
seriousness of thought that we apply to the current release.  The PEPs
may have the effect of prematurely finalizing discussions on something
that still has an ethereal if not pie-in-the-sky quality to it.  I would
hate for 3.0 development to start with constraints that got set in stone
before the project became a reality.

With respect to exception re-organization, the conversation has been
thought provoking but a little too much of a design-from-scratch
quality.  Each proposed change needs to be rooted in a specific problem
with the current hierarchy (i.e. what use cases cannot currently be
dealt with under the existing tree).  Setting a high threshold for
change will increase the likelihood that old code can be easily ported
and decrease the likelihood of either throwing away previous good
decisions or adopting new ideas that later prove unworkable.  IOW,
unless the current tree is thought to be really bad, then the new tree
ought to be very close to what we have now.

Raymond