[Python-Dev] PEP, take 2: Exception Reorganization for Python 3.0
Guido van Rossum
gvanrossum at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 19:18:42 CEST 2005
So here's a radical proposal (hear the scratching of the finglernail
on the blackboard? :-).
Start with Brett's latest proposal. Goal: keep bare "except:" but
change it to catch only the part of the hierarchy rooted at
- Call the root of the hierarchy Raisable.
- Rename CriticalException to CriticalError
(this should happen anyway).
- Rename ControlFlowException to ControlFlowRaisable
(anything except Error or Exception).
- Rename StandardError to Exception.
- Make Warning a subclass of Exception.
I'd want the latter point even if the rest of this idea is rejected;
when a Warning is raised (as opposed to just printing a message or
being suppressed altogether) it should be treated just like any other
normal exception, i.e. StandardError.
--Guido van Rossum (home page: http://www.python.org/~guido/)
More information about the Python-Dev